Monday, August 6, 2012

A Reflection







          It's about a week after the conference already, I've learned a lot throughout the whole week at Vancouver. I'm inspired and motivated. This conference really did impact me. I'm much more concern about the environment now. Every single action of people around me and myself makes me think of the impact that we have done to the earth. I think twice before I drive, eat and do something. How big is my carbon footprint now? I never record such thing in my life. Thinking of how much damage to the earth makes me feel very bad about myself. But it's never too late to change!



          I guess people around me already think that I have nagged them a lot so that they would recycle and turn off the electrical appliances that are not in use. I'm back, and I got even more serious. At home in Penang, I'm trying my best to let my family members realise the importance of being environmental friendly. I sat down with my family and I shared my experience at Vancouver. I hope that they have started to think differently now. I feel very satisfied when my sister told me to walk to the restaurant for breakfast rather than driving there. I hope this habit stays.


          I have even start to have more and more green ideas popping up in my head constantly. One of my latest idea now is about the reusable tote bag. I'm thinking of collecting old clothes through events and placement of box in public places, then pick up some shirts to make reusable shopping bags, send the other clothings to the orphanage or refugees that are in need. Sell the bags and the profit goes to charity. I think this is a wonderful idea and I'm trying to propose this to my CAS Coordinator now.


          There is a group in Facebook that my friends from my GAT N have created that is used to discuss and share our green ideas. We share and tried to improve each others ideas so that we can realise the ideas as a project together. We believe a small move can make a difference. Previously, I only talk about the environment but now, I'm trying to improve the earth to be a better. It feels very good when my friends and I motivate and inspire each other through conversations in the group.


          It's not all about environment at the conference, I learned a lot about people of different culture and background too. I've made a lot of friend from many different countries around the globe. Meeting friends from different countries remind me how special this world is. I learned simple greetings in foreign languages, and some trends of different countries. Sometimes it was so interesting that they kept me questioning more about it. I'm usually a quiet and timid girl but I was quite surprise to find out that I'm not as quiet over there at the conference. Having conversation people with completely different way of thought open my eyes to a brand new point of views.


          I have to say, this conference really have brought me a huge positive impact in many ways. My mind grow to become more mature. I appreciate and care about the environment even more. I'm more aware of the environment. I understand more different cultures now. I learn to motivate and inspire. I become more grateful of what I have. I feel proud of my identity as a Malaysian Chinese. I gained so much knowledge. The current me is a bit different from how I was previously, but for the better. I'm glad that I went to the conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment